Sunday, August 11, 2013

Even More Jules Gervais-Courtellemont Autochromes of Life at Versailles

Earlier this summer, I posted a small collection of Jules Gervais-Courtellemont autochromes/autochrome prints of "life at Versailles," as portrayed by 1920s re-enactment players. Since then, I've been lucky enough to add to my small collection of prints made from Courtellemont's autochromes!

I can't get enough of the nostalgic, almost whimsical feeling they inspire. They are like romantic snapshots of a moment forever frozen in time... two companions taking a stroll through the gardens, a noblewoman making her entrance into the Hall of Mirrors--the queen herself,  lost in the tranquility of her hamlet.

  
Players at the Fountains of Versailles
credit: my collection

Players in the Hall of Mirrors
credit: my collection

Player at the hamlet of Marie Antoinette
credit: my collection








1 comment:

  1. Those are quite wonderful. If only the color photography had exited during Marie Antionette's time. That would have been amazing.

    ReplyDelete